RSS

Product Review: Kinnikinnick Pancake & Waffle Mix

Kinnikinnick Pancakes
As much as I adore Kinnikinnick products, this wouldn't be one I would choose to purchase. But not because there is anything wrong with the mix itself, this is purely a matter of taste.

I grew up loving plain, buttermilk pancakes. Maybe a touch of butter, but no syrup at all (overdid that as a kid! There's a funny story that goes along with that experience too.). The sweetest I ever liked for pancakes was at IHOP, where I would get pancakes with walnuts (or is it pecans? I forget), slices of bananas, and a light dusting of powdered sugar.

T did not like how the mix tasted, but said that since sometimes, the end result doesn't taste anything like the mix, she was still willing to give them a try. (I didn't taste the mix myself.) We both found the pancakes to be too sweet. Butter (Earth Balance) did nothing for them, and maple syrup made the sweetness worse -- and actually, we thought it made the pancakes taste peculiar. However, we tend to buy B grade syrup, which is better for baking. Mos maple syrup you put on pancakes is "A" and is lighter in color and flavor, so that may have been the issue with the syrup.

Taste preferences aside, as you can see, the pancake mix cooks up very nicely. The pancakes were light and fluffy. They looked and felt just like you would expect a pancake to be. The mix is also usable for waffles, but we don't have a waffle press, so we couldn't try that.

So we're still on the hunt for a pancake mix that tastes the way I remember pancakes from childhood, but if you like your pancakes on the sweet side, definitely check this mix out!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS