RSS

GF Diet Guide: Part 3 - Basic Tips # 6

6. If you're not going to have a 100% gluten free house-hold, invest in a cupboard you can keep your new cookware, utensils, and non-perishable food in.

This tip doesn't really need much explanation. Very straightforward. But why do it? If you're living with someone(s) who are not eating gluten free, no matter how hard they try, there is always a chance someone will forget, will drip something, or, will decide to sample your food because they're curious or didn't have time to go grocery shopping, or ... various other reasons.

When I lived with my parents, I had a sturdy white cupboard (had formerly been used for office supplies) to store my pots, pans, utensils, pot/dish scrubbers - so they won't be used to wash gluten dishes, cutting boards, etcetera. I did actually have a couple shelves in the pantry for my GF items, and it worked out fine for me. I have seen plenty of stories about people living with family members and/or room-mates that found having a place to store all their non-perishables, separate from everyone else's food, really worked out for the best.

I strongly recommend putting a sign on the cupboard which reads "Gluten Free Items Only!".

Evaluate your living situation, and make a plan which works best for you/your household.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS