RSS

About me - and why I created this blog

In brief:

For as long as I can remember, I have had trouble with food. I never knew what I was eating that made me sick. Two entirely different meals could have the same result. I tried eliminating various foods without resolution.

In 2005, it started getting worse. I ended up eliminating soft drinks from my diet, and, to my disappointment, garlic, onions, peppers, and other acidic foods. This helped a lot, but not completely.

In 2007, my doctor suggested I try going gluten free, and suggested I try some other things as well, such as cod liver oil for my skin problems. This was right before a long trip with a friend though, and I just couldn't do it.

The following summer, I learned that a relative probably had Celiac's Disease, and when I researched the symptoms, I thought it sounded a lot like me. On August 1, 2008, I officially gave up gluten.

I had a few set backs, getting glutened by accident when I wasn't able to prepare my own foods. The sickness and pain from those experiences completely eliminated any temptation I might have had for gluteny treats.

Was I ever officially diagnosed? No. Why? Several reasons, which I will discuss in a separate post. The most important thing as far as I am concerned is giving up gluten changed my health for the better.

As of setting-up this blog, I have been gluten free for nearly a full year and feel so much better. I have learned a lot, and have set-up this blog so that I may share my knowledge with others.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS